STEPHEN L. SONNENFELD
B.S.C.E., with honors, University of Kentucky, 1968
M.S.C.E., University of Kentucky, 1973
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION & AFFILIATIONS:
• Registered Professional Engineer in Florida, 1974
• Past Chairman of the Geotechnical and Material Engineers
• Member of the Florida Engineering Society and American
Society of Civil Engineers
Mr. Sonnenfeld has served as a senior project manager for various major projects. He has
provided consulting engineering, design, and testing services for a wide variety of
construction projects. He has also been active in training technicians who are seeking
certification as concrete and aggregate testing.
• More than 30 years experience in the construction throughout Florida, which include
subsurface studies, development and interpretation of specifications, design services for
maintenance of traffic, evaluation of groundwater conditions, foundation systems, as well as
value engineering services
• Project management experience for geotechnical studied for large projects: runway
restorations at Tampa International Airport, 300 Million dollar chemical plant expansion, Old
Tampa Stadium Expansion, and the Florida Suncoast Dome and numerous mid rise
• In conjunction with his professional assignments, he has published papers on various
testing procedures. Also, he has taught classes at the University of South Florida as an
• Provided geotechnical services for scores of miles of Interstate Highway (I-75, I-275 and
10), tens of miles of bridges, miles of earthen dam, numerous mid to high rise structures.
Also, has been involved in the design of cutoff walls to inhibit the migration of methane gas
from landfills and evaluation of the flow pattern of pollutants from landfill operations.
• Developed Quality Control and Quality Assurance plans for CMT laboratories. Also, he has
written and implemented such plans for large projects and selected clients.
• Designed various types of foundation systems for use in transmission line construction.
These designs included evaluation of vibrated in-place steel piles, precast, concrete cylinder
piles, and drilled shafts. Also, he has provided design services for earth work construction.
• Provided engineering services to aid in minimizing delays in earthen construction, including
various utility and pipe projects. These studies also included development of alternate
procedures to aid in reducing man power and equipment requirements.
• Served as arbitrator in construction related disputes, as well as, providing engineering
services during mediation and trial for large roadway and vertical construction projects.
• For over 15 years taught classes to hundreds of field and laboratory technicians seeking
ACI accreditation in concrete and/or aggregate testing. Also, during this period he has
served as the examiner at numerous ACI examinations.
US Army (1968 to 1970) - Sgt E5, 9th Infantry Division, in charge of road reconnaissance,
Long Ann Province, Viet Nam.
Don Perkins & Associates (1971 to 1972) Staff engineer, performed geotechnical studies for
Law Engineering (1973 to 1979) Senior engineer, in charge of geotechnical studies for roads,
bridges, industrial and commercial development
Williams & Associates (1979 to 1988) Engineer in responsible charge of testing laboratory
operations, which included both geotechnical and material engineering services
SLS & Associates (1988 to present) Principal in charge of business development, provide
engineering and training services
Spillway Failure of Settling Pond